Boneheaded Quilting

I promised this horse quilt to a friend for her birthday fundraising auction. She is a life-long horse lover and has helped to establish a local horse rescue. How could I not donate to help?

I appliqued the horses, pieced the back, and quilted the layers, as one does. Despite measuring three or four times, the backing ended up cattywampus and this was the result:

fullsizeoutput_2e8.jpeg

Cattywampus backing

Naturally, I panicked because that’s my first reaction to doing something this stupid. After taking a deep breath, I did what anyone would do – went online and asked for help. I went to the forums on the Missouri Star Quilt Company website. MSQC is my favorite quilting website and has great people on its forums. I was reassured that a) I was not alone in doing something so boneheaded; b) I can simply add the material to cover the gap and no one will even notice: and c) that’s where the label will go so it will go even further in disguising such a bonehead mistake.

I still need to fix the backing and sew on the binding and then it will be ready for the fundraiser!

Here are pics of the quilt in its current state:

I made this quilt using the Holding Horses pattern from Cloud9 Fabrics.

I’ll post photos of the finished quilt when I have it complete. And remember: Don’t panic! Someone has made the same mistake and will be able to help you fix it.

Let us know you stopped by!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.